According to Stephen Hawking, we’ve got black holes all wrong.
As far as we are concerned, a black hole is a structure in space with an event horizon past which no light or matter can escape and ends up being devoured. Hawking is proposing that instead of having a clear ‘event horizon’, black holes actually have an ‘apparent horizon' which constantly fluctuates due to quantum effects.
One of the nifty consequences of this theorised model is that it resolves the firewall paradox which can be easily explained by considering an unfortunate astronaut falling into the event horizon of a black hole (RIP Mr. Astro).
Classical physics tells us that this poor soul would be stretched out and spaghettified (yes, this is a real word) until being crushed at the infinitely dense core. Quantum theory, however, suggests that the event horizon of a black hole would be a highly energetic reason and would act as a ‘firewall’ causing the astronaut to be burned to a crisp.
This is a big problem because it violates the equivalence principle which tells us that free falling is indistinguishable from floating in empty space (which obviously is not the case if find yourself being burned to a crisp). Another solution to the paradox suggests that information is simply lost in a black hole, but this is also very controversial as it violates unitarity.
Apparently, Hawking’s paper resolves this paradox. By replacing the event horizon with an apparent horizon, the theorised firewall can no longer exist as there is no uniform boundary to the black hole. However, the paper consists of just two pages with no calculations so it is very difficult for anyone to draw any definite conclusions. Some theorists have suggested that this theory could raise even more radical issues than the existence of firewalls.
If Hawking’s past discoveries are anything to go by, this could turn into a very interesting debate.
1089 Notes/ Hide
- theremainingwhorecrux reblogged this from aamukherjee
- lediperehodovarts likes this
- positivelyjetta reblogged this from aamukherjee
- 12ninja13 likes this
- paragonfound likes this
- lyssie212 likes this
- savedfile reblogged this from kidslipstream
- savedfile likes this
- kidslipstream reblogged this from scinerds
- astronomerjosh likes this
- theguybehindthescrn reblogged this from aamukherjee
- theguybehindthescrn likes this
- theilluminationtheory reblogged this from ne0ndreams
- iknowweirdpeople reblogged this from vanesa
- stevethompsons reblogged this from vanesa
- vanesa reblogged this from aamukherjee
- tatteredcandywraps likes this
- amairani-styless reblogged this from turtles-have-ass
- amairani-styless likes this
- corruptgentleman likes this
- vagexplorer likes this
- slammedminivan reblogged this from luxuriesend
- turtles-have-ass reblogged this from luxuriesend
- lustfulpride likes this
- just-someguy likes this
- luxuriesend reblogged this from thankgodforthepyrex
- bedsidelullaby likes this
- inspiredbyfuckmountain likes this
- ricerice18 likes this
- t0st1t0s likes this
- tahllytahlly reblogged this from insaeculasaeculorumamen
- tahllytahlly likes this
- fuzzymedved likes this
- andtheclockstrikeseleven reblogged this from thefictioned
- thekeyboardninja reblogged this from thefictioned
- madeandusedandwasted reblogged this from thefictioned
- thefictioned reblogged this from warpfactored
- lexyjynx reblogged this from endermisha
- evolskek likes this
- extraordinarilyqueen likes this
- poorlittlemiddleclassgirl reblogged this from scinerds
- pizzaalien reblogged this from aamukherjee
- pizzaalien likes this
- silviabarrosopadilla reblogged this from kingslayer-
- moscowprotection likes this
- urrone likes this
- masochistmimes likes this
- centaurmeat likes this
- freshcutwatermelon reblogged this from kingslayer-